Re: Gain and Mechanical advantage confusions

I would avoid general definitions in this area--rather discuss the _concept_
of gain or mechanical advantage. Then look at individual machines and talk
about what they do. Then you can define gain/mechanical advantage more
meaningfully. For example, I do an inclined plane experiment where we
define the mechanical advantage as the (weight lifted)/(force applied) and
the efficiency as (the useful work done)/(energy input). Both definitions
are somewhat specific to this machine and our use of it. Don't be too
concerned that the determination of mechanical advantage changes from
machine to machine--that's the nature of the beast.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available