Re: Explanation of def. 4 of Q (long)

David has provided a thorough "parsing" of his definition of heat.
I believe it may amount to what I wrote on October 28 in the
"ENERGY WITH Q" thread":

"Any energy change in a system that is associated exclusively
with an alteration in the occupation numbers (rather than the
energy levels) of the allowed quantum states *will* alter the
entropy of the system and ought, therefore, to be considered
'heat.'

"Any energy change in a system that is associated exclusively
with an alteration in the energy levels (rather than the
occupation numbers) of the allowed quantum states will *not*
alter the entropy of the system and ought, therefore, to be
considered 'work.'"

See

<http://mailgate.nau.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0110&L=phys-l&D=0&O=A&P=80240>