Re: positive and negative work

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Edmiston" <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU>

But I also explain to my students there is a big sign problem when we try
use the "work-energy theorem" because the work-energy theorem itself does
not specify whether the agent doing the work done and the thing changing
energy are the same. So, when I write the work-energy theorem I simply
write W = +/- delta-E and tell the students they have to figure out which
sign is appropriate on a case-by-case basis.

Conclusion, I believe there is a firm sign convention for what I consider
the formal definition of work (integral force dot ds). But there is no
formal convention for the sign used in the work-energy theorem because the
theorem does not specify whether both sides of the equation are referring
the same body/agent or not.

It seems to me that at least in most introductory applications the
convention is:

The Net Work done _on an object_ = the change in Kinetic Energy _of the
object_.

The Net Work is positive if the KE increases, negative if it decreases.

Since I never teach beyond this level I don't immediately recognize what
the other choices might be.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available