Re: positive and negative work

John Mallinckrodt wrote:

As I understand it, you want to promote a single definition of
work.

Yes, that would be an improvement, other things being equal.

For that definition to be useful, we need to know what to do
wih it after we calculate it.

I'm not assuming that work is a useful concept. Sometimes it is useful, but
sometimes it isn't. There is no 11th commandment that requires it to be useful.

That would seem to me to require
knowing how it is related to the change in some independently
calculable energy of the system.

I agree with the sentiment, but I wouldn't have stated it as a "requirement". I
would have said if (!) we can relate work to energy, then work is useful. Energy is
primary and fundamental.

To determine that we need to
know the answers to my two questions.

I don't think so, especially in cases where work is not useful.

The answer to this first question will, for instance, determine
whether or not work is related to changes in the bulk
translational kinetic energy of an object. Lots of people think
it is,

Well, lots of people make mistakes. I have posted numerous counterexamples to this
notion, notably carts with flywheels on board.

Consider for instance the result of pushing gently on an otherwise
freely floating balloon and doing a *thermodynamic* analysis of
its contents. In a case like this, we generally say that no work
has been done on the gas even though its bulk translational
kinetic energy changes.

What do you mean "we", Kemosabe?

-- If the push is truly gentle, it accelerates the balloon without disturbing its
internal degrees of freedom, so we can treat the balloon as a large but essentially
simple object, and apply the notion of "work" to its overall motion.
-- If that's not true, then I don't even know what F dot ds means for such a
complex system, and therefore I don't know how to apply the notion of "work" to the
overall system. I would not expect my colleagues to know what "work" means in such
a context, and I certainly wouldn't expect students to learn it.