Re: positive and negative work

From: John Mallinckrodt <ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU>
Am. J. Phys., V60, 356-365, (1992).

I have this paper and am in the process of reading it.

I've never heard work *defined* this way. Work (in any of its
many forms) is conventionally *defined* as a product of some force
with some distance (or, more generally, as a sum of integrals of
infinitesimal such products.) We can then go on to *prove* (using

I see a big difference in defining a quantity and then defining how we *calculate* that quantity. For example, we can define *force* without mentioning how we *calculate* force. I see a similar distinction with work. We should be able to define it conceptually without resorting to equating the *definition* with *how we calculate it*. I'm not yet sure that this distinction can be applied to everything though. For example, *energy* is a simple term that defies easy conceptual definition, but I can certainly quote numerous ways to *calculate* it in different situations. I avoid the *ability to do work* "defintion" for energy because it's pretty much meaningless. I prefer Feynman's definition.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Joe

CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>
Please -- no Microsoft attachments. They're a security risk.