NHMFL "Molecular Expressions" site

Here's a website which I believe you will find valuable; and I hope you
will want to pass it along to colleagues in other disciplines, too.:

<http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/index.html>

This site is by The Graphics and Design Team of the National High
Magnetic Field Laboratory at Florida State University. My first thought
was that this was mainly appropriate for high school students; but,
after some time exploring the site, I can see plenty of potential for
use at the college/university level.

What first attracted me to the site is a new online version of the old
Eames-Morrison-Boeke "Powers of 10" concept (b&w "rough sketch" filmed
in 1968, final color version in 1977). For those of you who don't know
what I'm talking about, it's a dazzling high speed tour of the known
Universe from cosmic to subatomic. Once it downloads, you can run it
backward/forward any way you want. (BTW, the Eames Office is still in
business and selling the golden-oldie versions on VHS, CDROM, etc, as a
Google search will confirm.)

Then, lots of really good stuff about light and color and other EM
radiation, optics, refraction, reflection, diffraction, fluorescence,
etc, etc. It has one of the largest online galleries of
photomicrographs, a fabulous display. This site is so loaded with
fascinating stuff, it will take weeks or months to see it all.

This site is DENSE in the good sense of the word; thorough explanations,
technical details, big words, *math*! Unlike many of the .gov science
outreaches, most of this site really isn't for young kids. Good high
school physics students and even college students are going to find
challenges here.

At some point you probably will want to "back into" the NHMFL website at
<http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/> and see what's going on there too.

Hoping you find this useful,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>