Re: positive and negative work

But gravity doesn't do the positive work until the center of mass has been
moved--by the leg bending--behind the point of support. It seems that the
sitting process is more complex than the authors considered. I would say
that there is some positive work in the process of moving the COM backwards,
and then possibly some negative work as described by Justin and Robert. The
latter depends on the height of the seat and just how one lowers oneself
into the seat. At about this time of year, after a full day of classes, it
is often just 'collapsing' onto the couch for me--legs doing almost nothing!
;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIRTRACKS & BALLISTIC LAUNCHER
DYNAMIC CARTS--SOON!
CD-ROMs now available