Re: electronics texts

At 09:41 AM 11/7/01 -0500, Bob Muir wrote:

I have been teaching (for a long time) a course entitled "Electronics
for Scientists"
Now, I would like to have a book that has primarily an applied
orientation. It should contain problem sets and lab activities that
are integrated with the textual materials. I would like it to treat
diodes and transistors to a minimal extent, op-amps & digital IC's to
a large extent, noise and grounding issues, signal processing, etc.
I don't want it to get bogged down with detailed treatment of the
properties of solid state materials and semiconductors. I want
students who have completed the course to be able to design simple
anlog, digital, and combintation circuits using IC devices and to be
able to analyze more complex circuits from a circuit diagram (as well
as to breadboard them).

1) The following suggestion may sound nit-picky at first, but I think it
has merit: Consider changing the title of the course. I like the
description of the course a lot better than the title; a new title along
the lines of
"Physics 512: Measurement, signal processing, and control"
would seem preferable for two reasons: It is more informative, and doesn't
sound so "segregationist".

Partly on practical grounds and partly on philosophical grounds I object to
courses aimed at specific segregated audiences, such as:
-- Chemistry for women.
-- Electronics for tall people.
-- Mathematics for people with green hair.

2) Related point: Under ordinary circumstances, such a course should be
co-listed in the Electrical Engineering department. In this case things
are not so simple, because UNCG doesn't offer any Engineering to speak of:
http://www.uncg.edu/phy/preengineering/preeng.htm

However, there is a point to be made that applies in most cases (but not,
alas, UNCG).

In general, it is good to have a course in "measurement, signal processing,
and control" and it would be good if a few Electrical Engineering majors
would take the course. It's amazing how many people graduate with EE
degrees without ever having heard of a ground loop, or an instrumentation
preamp, or a bridge, or a ratio transformer, or a lockin amplifier.

The best approach is to have a "cognate" course, i.e. to have it listed
both places:
"Physics 512: Measurement, signal processing, and control"
"EE 512: Measurement, signal processing, and control"

That way it's obvious that EE majors can take it and have it count toward
their major. That makes it clear that it isn't a course in "music
appreciation for people with green hair who aren't qualified to take a real
music-theory course".

Similar remarks apply to courses called "mathematical methods of physics":
they should be co-listed in the math department. This reassures the
students that the faculty has its act together.

3) I have my doubts about the course description above, when it speaks of
building circuits from IC devices. Nobody does that anymore, not in a real
measurement lab. For almost all measurements, there are three basic steps:
a) Physics and analog stuff: Shielding, and using a bridge to make a
null or differential measurement.
b) Electronics: slap a preamplifier module on it and digitize it.
c) Software: do all the signal processing, and all the control, in software.

Note that the electronics is usually modular. If you want to teach a
course in how to design high-frequency low-noise instrumentation preamps,
that's OK, but that's a totally different course.

And why mess with digital ICs if you can do what you want with a Stamp?
http://www.stampsinclass.com/
If it's so tricky you can't do it with a Stamp, you probably can't do it in
a one-semester class at all.

========================

To contribute toward answering the original question: IMHO everybody
should own a copy of Horowitz and Hill. Its chapter 7 (Precision Circuits)
is on-target for 1/3rd of the course description.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0521370957/conten
ts/ref%3Dpm%5Fdp%5Fln%5Fb%5F2/107-4763737-6771759

IMHO everybody should own a copy of Gardner, _Phaselock Techniques_

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471042943/qid=1005152003/sr=8-1/ref=
sr_8_3_1/107-7291191-7601350

As for the other parts of the course, signal analysis and control, those
are vast subjects unto themselves. Probably the best you can do in a
one-semester course is to pick a package such as labview and teach 'em how
to use that. Loads of texts are available

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-keywor
ds=labview&bq=1/102-4148522-0261761
including for example

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/013833949X/qid=1005155744/sr=1-4/ref=
sr_1_9_4/102-4148522-0261761

For the analysis (but not control) part, the de_facto standard is Matlab.
Scilab is similar (almost but not quite identical), works well, and has a
very attractive price ($0).
http://www-rocq.inria.fr/scilab/