Re: electronics texts

In addition to the std. texts, check out the applications. e.g.
Melissinos, Preston & Dietz (The Art of Exptl. Phys.), also Moore,
Davis, and Coplan (Building Scientific Apparatus).

bc

Bob Muir wrote:

Hi folks,
I have not been able to find any, satisfactory to me, currently
published textbooks of the genre "Electronics for Scientists".

If you have been teaching an "Electronics for Scientists" course,
will you please share with me the course format, content, and what
you use for textual materials?

If you will communicate with me off list, I will summarize the
results and post to the list.

I have been teaching (for a long time) a course entitled "Electronics
for Scientists" that meets twice a week for 50 minute "lectures" and
once a week for 2hours & 50 minute lab. The objectives of the course
have evolved over the years. I started with the first edition of
Malmstadt, Enke, and Toren (1962). So, the objectives were the same
as for the course they designed. This included vacumn tube
amplifiers, power supplies, transistors, etc. When that book became
obsolete, I switched to the BugBooks of Rony, Larsen, and Braden
(VPI) for digital ICs along with "Design of op-amp circuits, with
experiments" by Berlin. The latter text is of the same format as the
BugBooks. The objectives became the introduction of students to IC
circuits both digital and analog along with a little on transistors
and diodes, power supplies and the use of o'scopes, voltmeters,
ammeters, and ohmmeters. I developed lecture notes to go along with
these texts which are primarily hands-on lab activities.

Since the BugBooks have gone out of print, I have been using
photocopies (with permission of Rony) for the lab and Faissler's
"Modern Electronics" and my own notes for lecture.

Now, I would like to have a book that has primarily an applied
orientation. It should contain problem sets and lab activities that
are integrated with the textual materials. I would like it to treat
diodes and transistors to a minimal extent, op-amps & digital IC's to
a large extent, noise and grounding issues, signal processing, etc.
I don't want it to get bogged down with detailed treatment of the
properties of solid state materials and semiconductors. I want
students who have completed the course to be able to design simple
anlog, digital, and combintation circuits using IC devices and to be
able to analyze more complex circuits from a circuit diagram (as well
as to breadboard them).

Does anyone have a favorite text that comes close to this?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob Muir muirrob@uncg.edu
Physics & Astronomy 336-334-3255
UNC Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
Life is NOT a dress rehearsal.
The trouble with reality is -- it's never the
way you imagine it! -- Moira (For Better or
for Worse)