Re: Physics Tests

At 12:13 PM 11/6/01 -0600, Tina Fanetti wrote:
When you give tests to your Calc-based physics class,
how are the tests formatted?

I have been doing 4-5 problems to solve that have 4 parts each.
They have 2 hours to work on it.

I am wondering if this is too hard for them....

1) I don't understand the question. Is the question about formatting, or
is the question about hardness? I don't see much connection between the two.

Almost regardless of format, I can design 4 or 5 questions that can be
answered in 40 minutes. Or I can design questions that will take 40 days
and 40 nights. Or I can design questions that will take 40 years.

2) Is the question about length of time, or is the question about intrinsic
hardness? In one case you might consider asking fewer questions (keeping
the difficulty roughly constant). In the other case you might consider
asking easier questions (keeping the number of topics covered roughly
constant). Or it might be necessary to teach to a higher standard and
motivate the kids to a higher standard, so that they can solve hard
questions more quickly.

Somebody has to set the standard. Sometimes the accreditation bodies
enforce standards. Sometimes the school promulgates a standardized
syllabus. Sometimes it is an "AP" course in which case the test is the
de_facto standard. Sometimes you have to set your own standards, based on
intuition based on experience, or (better) based on consulting with the
employers and/or upper-level educators your students will be dealing with
after leaving your course.