Re: does water freeze if no room to expand?

Not quite -- for example there is one ice state that has a density of
1.31 Mg/m^3

for phase diagram:

http://skua.gps.caltech.edu/hermann/ice.fig2.html

the article:

http://skua.gps.caltech.edu/hermann/ice.htm

bc

P.s. Some of these phases exist in glaciers.

Rondo JEFFERY wrote:

Point out to the student that water pipes break in the winter, causin=
g great damage. A former colleague of mine grew up on a farm in Minn=
isota. It was his responsibility every fall to drain the water out o=
f the tractors, otherwise the engines would crack when the temperatur=
e got down to -40 degrees. This student must put antifreeze in his o=
wn car to prevent the engine block from cracking when the temperature=
gets below freezing.

The statements "such that there was no room to expand" and "the conta=
iner was unbreakable" do not include any known material, even hardene=
d steel or rocks. These facts from experience should be more persuas=
ive than the calculations others have already suggested, since the pr=
essures you will calculate are way out of the realm of his or anyone =
else's experience.

Rondo Jeffery
Weber State University
Ogden, UT 84408-2508
rjeffery@weber.edu=20

Robert.Cohen@PO-BOX.ESU.EDU 11/02/01 03:08PM >>>
A student of mine asked me this question:

Suppose liquid water was placed in a container such that there was n=
o room
to expand. If the container was unbreakable, would the water eventu=
ally
freeze if the temperature got cold enough?
If so, when?

I didn't look into this in great detail. I couldn't find anything i=
n the
archives or on the web.

Robert Cohen rcohen@po-box.esu.edu=20
570-422-3428 http://www.esu.edu/~bbq=20