Re: Value of Homework

Tina,
Just to add to the good advice from others: I also recommend assigning
homework and grading it if possible. I usually assign 7 to 10 problems a
lecture class in calculus based general physics with three lecture classes
(and two labs a week.) I try to grade 5 problems per assignment including
all the even ones that don't have answers in the book. If they miss one I
write the answer on the paper with a statement as to what went wrong or with
a correct start on the solution. I don't want students to always have the
answer before they do the problems. Students work very hard on these
problems and generally do well. I get questions on some of the more
difficult aspects which I answer during the day or in our weekly problem
session. I don't go over problems in class and I usually only help students
to the point where they can finish the problem. Problems are worth 15% of
the grade.
Jim

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Hello all
I am currently thinking about next semester. I was wondering, how ma=
=3D
ny assign homework, collect and grade it? How many just assign the p=
=3D
roblems and expect the students to do them on their own (ie not for a=
=3D
grade)?

For those that don't have a specified recitation section for your cla=
=3D
ss, like at a community college, do you spend class time going over t=
=3D
he homework problems? How much time?