Re: Returning of tests

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugh Haskell" <hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM>

Grading is a real pain, and I'm never sure what testing tells us,
other than the students are good at taking tests, or not. I have
never been associated with ungraded schools, so I don't know how they
keep the kids working, but I would like to find out. I understand
that most Friends' (Quaker) Schools are ungraded, but I have never
had a chance to talk to any teachers at those schools to see how they
keep their students motivated. But it seems to be true that their
students don't have any more trouble getting into colleges than
regular school students, maybe even less.

It is not just keeping students motivated but keeping your accrediting
agency happy. North Central is STILL on their ASSESSMENT kick so a school
would have to be VERY creative to come up with an acceptable assessment plan
sans testing! ;-(

Rick

(BTW: I return tests but not final exams. I sometimes have used some of
the same test questions from year to year but with subtle changes. I then
chuckle when I get the exact answer from the previous year's test. This
tends to _only_ happen once--and who says our students can't learn!)

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
NEW: Photo Realistic Laboratory Simulations