Re: Teaching loads

From: Allen Shotwell <rshotwel@IVY.TEC.IN.US>

Welcome to the community college system! Our faculty are constrained by the
similar teaching load that varies in its interpretation in order to fit the
fiscal needs of the College but basically boils down to the same 18-21
hours per week number. Also, (like every public, two-year school on the
face of the earth I suspect) we have a criminal reliance on adjunct
faculty. Be that as it may, I will offer these insights.

With regards to Accrediting agencies (such as Southern Association of
Colleges and Schools) their ultimate power is in the theoretical
possibility of denying or suspending accreditation which leads to very
serious problems in transfer, financial aid and credibility issues (and
probably serious trouble from whatever governmental bodies affect you).

But HOW and FROM WHERE do these people GET this authority? They're not federal agencies. They're not state agencies. They have to come from somewhere though. I'm seriously considering starting my own addrediting agency. There seem to be no limits on who can do this.

things to say about faculty being loaded appropriately. It wouldn't take
much web surfing to get their requirements verbatim.

www.sacs.org

Arguably, two year College faculty are not in the business of research but
of teaching and that in fact "justifies" an administration's lack of
support. Practically, I think all faculty need to engage to some degree in
some scholarly work in order to be useful teachers. I will say though, that
my experience has been that what you can get in terms of funding, release
time and other things you have mention depends most on the politics of the
College. When the things you want to do or have resonate >
So true needs don't matter. That's the message I get.

Cheers,
Joe

CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>
Please -- no Microsoft attachments. They're a security risk.