Re: Returning of tests

My experience with high school students is that most of them
are interested only in the grade they get, and don't care a
whit if they learn anything or not. That's not universal, of
course.

That still hold true, but today I think more parents are
concerned with the grade, at least at the high end.

Grading is a real pain, and I'm never sure what testing
tells us, other than the students are good at taking tests,
or not. I have never been associated with ungraded schools,
so I don't know how they keep the kids working, but I would
like to find out. I understand that most Friends' (Quaker)
Schools are ungraded, but I have never had a chance to talk
to any teachers at those schools to see how they keep their
students motivated. But it seems to be true that their
students don't have any more trouble getting into colleges
than regular school students, maybe even less.

I have often though it would be nice to have an ungraded
school. Maybe a checklist of skills. When so many skills
are aquired, you get credit for a course. Probably would
be more nightmareish to administrate.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur