Re: Value of Homework

At 11:51 AM -0600 10/31/01, Tina Fanetti wrote:
Hello all
I am currently thinking about next semester. I was wondering, how ma=
ny assign homework, collect and grade it? How many just assign the p=
roblems and expect the students to do them on their own (ie not for a=
grade)?

For those that don't have a specified recitation section for your cla=
ss, like at a community college, do you spend class time going over t=
he homework problems? How much time?

I'm at a 2-yr college, but I have a grader, so I collect homework and we
grade huge portions of it (the assignments are quite substantial). But I
don't have enough class time to go over it there with rare exceptions (we
don't have recitation sections), but I give points for students putting a
few problems on the board before class begins. And I encourage them to
visit me in office hours and I strongly encourage them to work in groups.

Larry