From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 9:28 AM
Subject: Re: ENERGY WITH Q

At 08:30 AM 10/30/01 -0500, Carl E. Mungan wrote:
I'm confident you agree that for an object with or without internal
degrees of freedom and having total mass M, the net force (which is
of course external) on the object equals M times the acceleration of
its center of mass (CM). Now dot both sides with a differential
displacement of the CM and integrate. That gives the W-K thm.

That's fine as stated. Note the absence of internal degrees of
freedom. This is an important premise of the Work-KE theorem.

Applied to your cart example. If F is the *only* external horizontal
force on the cart, I hereby publicly guarantee it will gain KE,
regardless of what clock mechanism is inside it.

No good. The reasoning is invalid. The premise of the Work-KE theorem
is
not upheld, therefore we cannot conclude the conclusion. This is a real
problem. It is not just a theoretical problem, because real-world
counterexamples exist; see below.

If you meant that there are other external horizontal forces, please
spell
out a free-body diagram for your clock-cart a bit more clearly.

The cart was not a perfect example, so let me offer a better one. This
is
in some sense the reverse of the notorious skater who pushes off the
wall.

***********************************
***********************************
***********************************
**** /R/
****VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV====================|
**** \R\
***********************************
***********************************
***********************************

This object is freely-floating in a space station, so there are no
forces
other than those explicitly mentioned here. There is a massive frame
denoted by "*" symbols. There is a low-mass spring denoted by "V"
symbols. There is a low-mass plunger denoted by "=" symbols. There is
ratchet denoted by "/R/" that ensures that the plunger moves only
inward,
not outward.

I whack the end of the plunger with a hammer. There is a large force
applied over a nonzero distance. I calculate F dot ds in the only way
that
makes sense, namely the force (at the place where the force is applied)
and
the distance (at the place where the force is applied).

It is simply not true that calculating F dot ds tells me the increase in
the kinetic energy of this object. Some of the energy goes into
compressing the spring.

Nitpickers note: The foregoing violates the spirit of the "public
guarantee" because the gain in KE is much smaller than would be
predicted
by the Work-KE theorem. If you want to play lawyer and observe that the
guarantee didn't state _how much_ KE would be gained, I will apply a
brief
rightward tug to the plunger, reducing the KE to zero. The total F dot
ds
will be nonzero. This totally and completely violates the guarantee,
letter and spirit.

==============================

I assume this is simply a miscommunication and that you are too busy
to look over my long document more carefully.

I read

http://physics.usna.edu/physics/faculty/mungan/Scholarship/WorkEnergyTheo

http://physics.usna.edu/physics/faculty/mungan/Scholarship/WorkEnergyTheor
y.pdf
carefully enough to ascertain that the word "entropy" occurred only once
in
this long document, in a footnote.

Trying to explain thermodynamics without entropy is like trying to sell
dehydrated water.

The whole notion of using the Work-KE theorem to "derive" thermodynamics
is
misguided. Any resemblance to real thermodynamics is purely
coincidental. Introducing additional concepts like "pseudowork" isn't
going to help.

I strongly object to texts which consider examples (in the mechanics
chapter) of say clay hitting the floor and then say (in passing, no
less!) that the floor does no work because it doesn't move. Is there
an introductory student alive who is supposed to make sense of this
before having been introduced to thermo?

Huh? I agree with the text. If the floor doesn't move, then it doesn't
do
any work. Every introductory student I've ever seen can make sense of
"doesn't move". Work = F dot ds where ds=0. What's objectionable about
that?