Re: Obnoxious Student

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:57:41 -0500 brian whatcott <inet@INTELLISYS.NET>
writes:
At 11:26 10/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
Hello all
I have a student in one of my classes that is a smart-aleck. Which
isn't a bad thing but she is starting to make cracks and stuff
during class and has started becoming a distraction to other students.

Ideas on how to handle her?

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> replied:

"When the customer raises objections,
that's a sign of interest."

It is possible that Brian may be fortunate in never having had
to deal with such students. Their main interest is in calling
attention to themselves by disrupting the class. Signs of such
interest on the part of one destrutive student are not only
unwelcome but they deprive all of the other students who are
well behaved and anxious to learn.

If there are several such students in a school and all attempts
to improve their behavior fail, it is time to resort to a proven
technique. Rearrange the classes, if possible, so all the disruptive
students are together in the same class. True, little or no
real learning can be expected in such a class. but the well-behaved
students in all of the other classes will benefit greatly.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City

classes