Fw: Why work before energy in texts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Wayburn" <twayburn@WT.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Why work before energy in texts

Third note: Work is used to define entropy, which is defined before
energy
in my system, which was presented in a long note a few years ago.
Some may
remember. Some may want a copy. Let me know.

Regards / T

Ding Dang it, I wrote "work is used to define energy" when I meant
"entropy is used to define work"; energy transfer that carries zero
entropy is work OR say it better and satisfy yourself. But the basic
idea is correct W "carries" no entropy) whereas Q "carries" entropy.
Delta S = q/T . So, I guess I am disturbed by saying heat is a special
kind of work. Heat and work happen at the boundary of the control
surface; energy and entropy accumulate (or deplete) inside; the
temperature characterizes the surroundings. Some problems are solved
with more than one control volume.

J. J. Stoker often said, "No one tells you what to write on the next
line." When you. need the solution you can do whatever is required.

Donald Ludwig would say, " Look for Divine Inspiration to allow you to
write down the answer without additional effort." Or in Ludwigese,
"The best way to solve a problem is to write down the answer."

Enough.

Regards to all / T