Re: ENERGY WITH Q

The kinetic theory of gasses provides us with the first
glimpse of the true nature of caloric. It shows that for a
simple case of an ideal gas (mono-atomic molecules)
Q can be calculated as 1.5*N*R*T, where N is the
number of moles, R is the universal gas constant and
T is the absolute temperature. In the first physics course
this is usually generalized by saying that the amount of
thermal energy present in any object is directly
proportional to its absolute temperature.

Oh my, Ludwik, yes (1.5)NRT is the INTERNAL ENERGY but it aint the Q in the
First Law. We have been over this so many times....

Q is (a special kind of) work done external to the system -- E/U is the
internal energy inside the system.

Of course the reificaton people will want Q to flow but It does not
even with the weird definitions.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen