Re: ENERGY WITH Q

Sorry for the typo (for saying "Q is decreasing" instead of
"E is decreasing.") Here is the corrected paragraph:

What happens to mechanical energy when it gradually
disappears? To answer this question one must be aware
that frictional forces are always associated with increases
of temperature. Experiments performed by Count Rumford,
and those performed by Joule, would be used to establish
the mechanical equivalent of heat. Then I would say that
caloric is not a substance, it is a form of energy. To
emphasize this we will start expressing Q in Joules and refer
to this physical quantity as a form energy. Experiments
performed by Joule, and by others, demonstrated that
although E is decreasing the sum of E+Q remains constant.
Referring to a sliding box I would invent a new name for
the above sum, for example, mhenergy. Then I would
generalize by saying that mhenergy is conserved in real
experiments. That is the essence of Model 2.

Ludwik Kowalski