Re: operational F, m, and a (velocity measurements with fish-scal es)

At 02:00 PM 10/19/01 -0500, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:
you state that it is necessary for you to correct for these
nuisances, in order to achieve arbitrary accuracy. Since we are discussing
the use of the instrument in principle, I assume that such requirements of
arbitrary accuracy are germane.

We are losing all perspective here. I thought this thread was interesting
because it asked whether every measurement of force was implicitly a
measurement of mass*acceleration.

It has now degenerated into a discussion of various nuisance effects that
are not related to mass*acceleration, and whether they are "germane" or
not. This is not interesting.

At 10:01 AM 10/19/01 -0500, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:
>I'm willing to stipulate an arbitrarily well lubricated excellently
>designed ideal scale.

... which to my ears sounded like stipulating that velocity*friction and
other nuisance effects were NOT germane.

Well, people are allowed to change their minds.

Look, two can play this game. JR is arguing that I can't measure force
using a spring. Well, if you believe that, you will also conclude that he
can't measure force using mass*acceleration, because any measurement of
mass*acceleration is implicitly a measurement of velocity, position, air
pressure, and temperature. The phase of the moon is similarly germane,
because tidal stresses will affect the measurement. Gimme a break.