Re: UFO Samples

I am not a UFO investigator but I do invite such a person to give a guest
presentation during my summer science course for in-service teachers! I
bet this will raise a few eyebrows. ;) [For a rationale, read on.]

His name is Chad and he is a regional representative of MUFON (Mutual UFO
Network). I believe the MUFON mission is to investigate UFO sightings and
report on their findings. During his presentation, he talks about some of
his investigations of UFO landing sites. I believe he picks up soil
samples from the site AND away from the site as a control. He labels the
container (probably zip lock bag) and sends it off to a laboratory for
trace chemicals and radiological examination. (I don't know the name of
the lab.)

Now, why the heck do I invite such a person to a science class? In the
past, I have also invited a massage therapist (touch therapy, etc.) and an
expert on Feng Shui to give presentations. And they truly believe in their
work! My purpose is to give the participants of my summer course some
unusual claims to which they need to analyze using science principles.
What questions should be asked of these presenters to get at the true
understanding of what is happening? What type of experiment could be
devised to test the legitimacy of these claims? What is written about
these subjects in the literature? Have they looked at all the possible
hypotheses and rated the hypotheses well? You get the picture... (I use
state grant money to compensate the "guest presenters"!)

In addition to talking about UFO sightings, Chad discussed his work
investigating ghosts, crop circles, etc. The scary thing about these
presentations is that they were exciting! If one lets they objectivity
down, one can easily be drawn into and become interested about their
subjects.

I co-authored a paper in the April (2001) issue of The Science Teacher
about this course. It has the title "Skeptical Science: Teaching Students
To Think Critically About Unusual Claims."

Regards, Alan