Re: arbitrary choice of zero of potential

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, John S. Denker wrote:

1) If you want an "authority", take a look at section 2.5 of Misner /
Thorne / Wheeler, wherein the 4-momentum is defined as the invariant mass
times the 4-velocity, with no contribution from potential energy. If you
don't have MTW handy you can read the online reference cited in my previous
note in this thread.

I don't have MTW nearby but I'm surprised to hear this and ready
to be educated. I think I hear you saying that the invariant mass
of a system is independent of any interactions between its parts.
Is that right? If not, please correct. If so, are you saying, for
instance, that the invariant mass of an "atom" of positronium is
precisely twice that of a single electron?