Re: Why work before energy in texts

I truly believe and understand that energy is more fundamental than work &
"should" be introduced first. But I still don't know how. My beginning
students know what force & displacement are, so they can understand work,
and then I can show them that 1/2 mv*2 or 1/2 kx*2 or even mgh equals work
done (I know, I know, I'm careful). But if I start with energy why
shouldn't it be mv*2 or mv*4, or why not mgh*2? The only 'proper' way I
know is to start with the expansion in power series of v/c of the
time-like component of the covariant 4-vector ....!!? Or Noether's
theorem!!?

Work is easily defined. Energy is not .. it's just something that we can
always find some way of accounting that makes it conserved.

Help?

Crawford