Re: energy introduced without work

-----Original Message-----
From:John S. Denker
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: energy introduced without work

Energy; time-shift invariance.
Charge; gauge invariance.
Conservation independent of mechanism; symmetry.

This stuff is like magic, only better, because it's real.
I agree with John. The conservation laws give us something easy to
understand that can be applied to countless situations.

I just heard a talk by Leon Lederman and he mentioned a site that might be
interesting to many on the list:
http://www.emmynoether.com/

and in particular:
http://www.emmynoether.com/noeth.htm
where we learn:
In 1905, a mathematician named Emmy (Amalie) Noether* proved the following
theorem:
For every continuous symmetry of the laws of physics, there must exist a
conservation law.
For every conservation law, there must exist a continuous symmetry.

The conservation law corresponding to space translational symmetry is the
Law of Conservation of Momentum.
The conservation law corresponding to time translational symmetry is the Law
of Conservation of Energy.
The conservation law corresponding to rotational symmetry is the Law of
Conservation of Angular Momentum.

While she has been mentioned in the list archive, I'm not sure the web site
has.

Larry Woolf