Re: HOLES AS CARRIERS Negative mass?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, I wrote:

Is it appropriate to say that the bubble has negative mass? The
gravitational force on the bubble is still down, no? I'm
missing something here.

On Thursday, October 11, William Beaty wrote:

True unless we neglect the mass of the air ..or perform the
experiment in
a vacuum! Use an evacuated bottle which is 90% full of some
fluid having
low vapor pressure. The bubble of vacuum will still act the same as a
bubble of air even though it contains no matter.

Perhaps I should word my question as follows:

Is it appropriate to say that the bubble has negative mass? The
gravitational force on the bubble is still down or zero, no? I'm
still missing something here.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| rcohen@po-box.esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |