Re: HOLES AS CARRIERS Negative mass?

At 1:15 PM -0400 on 10/10/01, Bob Sciamanda wrote
> I haven't (and perhaps CAN'T) work through the Hall Effect in the
'Correct Way' to see that holes are 'just' the absence of an
electron).
Chuck Britton

Consider a magnetic field into the page. Now introduce both electrons
moving to the right and positive carriers moving to the left. Both
constitute a current to the left. The qVxB force will force both carrier
types down the page. The Hall voltage developed depends on WHICH CARRIER
TYPE IS FREE TO MOVE in response to that force.

yes, this is the way I have always viewed the Hall Effect and this is
why I have thought that the hole motion to the right is NOT
equivalent to the electron motion to the left.

Can't we measure a POSITIVE voltage at the bottom of the page in
p-type materials?

Doesn't this imply that holes are NOT the same as electrons going the
opposite direction?

Is the 'Denker Explanation' for the correct Hall analysis saying
anything different than these results?
--