Re: HOLES AS CARRIERS Negative mass?

At 11:05 AM -0400 on 10/10/01, John S. Denker wrote
>Is this negative mass a characteristic of ALL holes???

All holes under any halfway-reasonable conditions.

ok

>Some basic researchers study the dynamics of electron-hole pairs
ORBITING their common center of mass in suitable semiconductors. The
dynamics of Negative Mass that you describe have not yet meshed with
my primitive understanding of these orbital motion studies.

I can't parse this. Is there a specific question? Note that the bubble in
Tim's shampoo goes !up! under the influence of gravity, which is a sign of
negative mass. Replace the bubble with a lightweight cork that behaves the
same. Attach a piece of iron to the cork. You can apply magnetic forces
to the cork, and it behaves in non-ridiculous ways.

ok, will the cork/iron system 'orbit' around a point between them (in
a magnetic field)

The negative iron is accelerated in the SAME sense as the positive cork?!?!?!?!

If the Lorentz force is reversed for negative masses, is the
electrostatic force ALSO reversed.
(Relativity would make me think, yes. But aren't electrons ATTRACTED
to holes????)

Come on, Ludwig, help me out here. Those of us who don't yet have the
'One True Answer' ARE quite willing to learn.

I haven't (and perhaps CAN'T) work through the Hall Effect in the
'Correct Way' to see that holes are 'just' the absence of an
electron).
--