ANOTHER ASPECT (was "why")

I corrected the typo in the subject line. It is the same message.

I would like to share an observation triggered by the following
episode. During a workshop devoted to a computer tool I was
trying to write down the procedural steps one after another. I
always do this because I can not trust my memory. The
instructor criticized me for this. He said something like this:

You are translating experience which is essentially visual
and kinesthetic into a textual representation. This prevents
you from internalizing this experience and from learning
more effectively.

Significant differences between learning how to use hardware
and how to use software were clear to me for a long time but
this was a good articulation worth thinking about. In learning
how to use hardware I developed an attitude of not doing
anything without knowing the consequences or without
following well written step by step instructions. Thus taking
notes, memorizing steps and trying to understand was an
essential preparation for doing laboratory things.

In learning software the emphasis seems to be on "try it and
learn from what happens. There will be no costly consequences
or danger from clicking on wrong buttons or choosing wring
options." I hope this kind of attitude will not be transferred to
our science labs. How can this be prevented?
Ludwik Kowalski