Re: displacement and graphs

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
I'm confused. What do you mean by "mirror?" As I understand it, in 1D,
displacement and position differ only in the arbitrary choice of origin
for
position, and the establishment of an initial position for displacement.
In
either case, velocity vs time should be the slope of the position or
displacement vs time graph.

Or, have I misunderstood your posting?

I did not say it well. The two ( displacement and velocity) are identical
in shape, not in value. I think position wrt some arbitrary reference is
fundamentally different from displacement in a tme interval.

time 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
pos 5 8 9 15 9 7 2
displ 3 1 6 -6 -2 -5

My world and vocabulary view.