Re: displacement and graphs

I have found the same confusion seems to exist in various
authors' minds,
and consequently I have to make a lengthy explanation about
the terms. But
I'd still be interested in what the rest of the list does.

Does the term "displacement" refer to the vector r (from some
arbitrary
origin) or does it refer to r_2 - r_1 (i.e. final -
initial). They are
clearly not the same thing but it seems texts use
"displacement" for both
concepts.

What I do:

Displacement: necessarily means displacement over an interval:

Which is r_2 - r_1

Position: the position of an object I define as its displacement from an
arbitrary origin: which is to say for Position I set r_1 equal to the
origin.

Joel Rauber