Re: Why.. students can't read directions

I think John 's experience is a clue to the problem -- what changed during
the period from, ".... blessed me ....", to ".... they damn me ....."? I
think it's too many students; too few instructors, AND their "quality." Is
this a problem where the institution is considerably more selective?

I HS substitute taught Chem. recently. Two of the classes were large and
required for people going into the health industry and a third very small
class. Their average was B+; the other two, c with correspondingly
different discipline problems. When I complained to the chair, he said there
was nothing I could do, and sotto voce, "Most of them don't belong in those
classes." Do we, as already thread mentioned, pass on and receive students
that should not have been?

bc