Re: displacement and graphs

Ken Fox asks:

I am puzzled by authors who ask for a graph of position as a function of
time but call it displacement. Am I alone? To me a displacement graph
should mirror the velocity graph.

I'm confused. What do you mean by "mirror?" As I understand it, in 1D,
displacement and position differ only in the arbitrary choice of origin for
position, and the establishment of an initial position for displacement. In
either case, velocity vs time should be the slope of the position or
displacement vs time graph.

Or, have I misunderstood your posting?

"Karaoke bars combine two of the nation's
greatest evils: people who shouldn't drink
with people who shouldn't sing."

--Tom Dreesen
George Spagna
Department of Physics