Re: Why..

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Tina Fanetti wrote:

can't students read and follow directions? Why?
What makes you think it's just students?
For a while I experimented with putting a line in documents to
administrators that read:
"When you have read this sentence please send me a note so that I'll know
this document has been read."
It was a quite a while before I got my first response and that one was
too rude to repeat in polite company.
I conclude that most of my administrators don't read what they ask us to
produce. I suspect most students have found it doesn't matter that much
either.
Isn't the question how to make it matter significantly?
People respond to what they think will matter to them, not necessarily
to what they are asked to do.

* John N. Cooper *
* Chemistry Department *
* Bucknell University *