Re: teaching loads and quality

From: Larry Smith <Larry.Smith@SNOW.EDU>

We are expected to teach 15-16 credit hours (which means more than that
contact hours counting labs) per semester, plus the usual advising load and
committee assignments. We prep our own labs. We do have graders.

We have no graders or lab techs. Well, our chemistry person gets a work study person for some, but not all, lab preps. Technically, we are supposed to do committee work too, but most of us take no part in that due to excessive teaching loads.

Some small allowances are made for workload credit for department chair,
maintaining computer labs, etc. (the division dean gets a much larger

We are prohibited by IT technicians from maintaining computer labs, although many of us (including myself) do it anyway.

allowance for being dean on his workload calculation, plus he gets 3% pay
raise). I currently make about $44k for a 9-month contract (with PhD and
10 years experience).

I get comparable pay for 12 months and I too have 10 yrs experience.

Thank you for your response.

Cheers,
Joe

CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>
Please -- no Microsoft attachments. They're a security risk.