Re: Physics for Ninth Graders?

My hat's off to Marc for making the point so well. I teach 9th grade
physics and find they do quite well. I use Hewitt and much supplementing and
use an engineering approach. Yes, vectors are hard, they don't do trig but
we are reinforcing their algebra skills and they are designing experiments
and projects. Isn't this what science is all about?
In some ways we are being self-centered. Yes, physics is the fundamental
science but why can't it be started in 9th grade? They aren't idiots and
the start they get in 9th makes them better physics students as seniors. Any
subject we teach in HS is only the first level so if they want more then
they will take a second course.
I also teach biology. Ever tried to teach it without chemistry? It doesn't
work too well, and as Marc so aptly states they aren't ready yet for many
subject areas. I've also taught chemistry and I found that students are more
befuddled about chemistry than any other science. I'm still not sure where
it should be taught. So where should we start? In general, whether it's
physics first, physical science, earth science (which is sadly neglected in
HS) or whatever, we need to take a long,hard look at the american science
education system. We are trapped in a system dictated by testing, AP's,
etc.
After 20 plus years of teaching I'm as stymied as anyone as to what is
"best." Maybe it really doesn't matter
Let's be realistic, most of our students won't be scientists so at the very
least we better make them science literates. Maybe the best way to do that
is, to paraphrase a famous quote, "damn the sequence, full speed ahead."

Sorry for the rant, lets just say its a tough subject to raise.
Brian Rogan
Science Chair
New Jewish High School
8 Prospect St.