Re: Thermodynamics Courses (was Thermodynamics Texts)

Title: Re: Thermodynamics Courses (was Thermodynamics Texts)
I have a related question.  Is it customary for undergrad. physics
departments to offer both a macroscopic, eg like Zemansky, and a
microscopic, eg like Kittel, thermodynamics/thermal physics course for
physics majors?  If both are offered, which would be required for a physics
major?
Thanks,
Jim Peters

Jim,

At UC Santa Barbara we offer a two-quarter sequence in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics (see below). Only the first quarter (119A) is required for physics majors, although the second quarter (119B) is highly recommended.

Cheers,
Roger Freedman

119A-B. Thermal and Statistical Physics
(3-4) Staff
A. Thermodynamics: three laws of thermodynamics, phase diagrams, entropy, equipartition of energy, specific heat, reversible and irreversible processes, pressure, viscosity, thermal conductivity, diffusion. (F)
B. Statistical mechanics: Boltzmann, Fermi-Dirac, Bose-Einstein distribution laws. Relation of thermodynamic variables and microscopic properties. (W)

Roger A. Freedman
Department of Physics and College of Creative Studies
University of California, Santa Barbara

Mailing address:
Department of Physics
UCSB