Re: Physics for Ninth Graders?

I am sad to see this grade-9 movement gaining momentum. It
pretty much
I strikes me that we have always had a physics first situation. At least
where I went to school in the early 70's there was the senior year physics
course. But 9th grade science was entitled Physical Science and basically
was a lot of really elementary physics and chemistry.

ensures that HS physics will be taught at a highly watered-down
conceptual level. With all due respect to Leon Lederman and his
optimistic band of followers, I do not believe that the majority of 14
year olds possess the mathematical skills and intellectual maturity to
comprehend physics to the extent that it ought to be understood at the
HS level.

I don't believe we're doing the nation any favors by trying to teach
physics to less well prepared kids rather than waiting until they have
had an opportunity to mature. There is such a *vast*
difference between
the maturity of the typical 14 year old and the same kid at
age 17; the
gap seems like the grand canyon to me, and I'm always amazed that kids
can traverse such a huge divide in just two or three years.

I understand the "physics first" arguments and the driving
politics, but
understanding something doesn't always make one see it as an
improvement.