Re: Weight and reference frame

PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu writes:
a) the gravitational force between you and the earth
b) the reading when you stand on a scale on the earth
c) the reading when you stand on a scale in any other reference frame.

Does anyone want to argue for a different set of definitions for the
above
concepts???

I vote with Tim. SET I looks good to me.

I am not sure I want to argue but I do not vote for set I. Set I seems
nice from the frame of reference of the mass being weighed. From out side
that reference I prefer to group b and c as one that I call the normal
force applied by the floor (or what have you) and tranmitted and measured
by the scale. I am happy calling (a) the gravitational force but I will
also call it weight because I like to communicate with my students. Many
have tried to disuade me and I have read the comments here. This still
make the most sense to me.

In an aside, weight and mass was yesterday's topic in my classes, before I
saw the return of this thread. I told my students that there was not
universal agreement on the definition of "weight" and that grown
physicists will argue.How prophetic.

Cheers

Ken Fox
Science Department Coordinator