Re: Weight and Mass

At 04:00 PM 9/24/01 -0500, Tim Folkerts wrote:
Consider the following useful ideas (avoid/ignore buoyancy, holding on to
ropes, etc, etc):
a) the gravitational force between you and the earth
b) the reading when you stand on a scale on the earth
c) the reading when you stand on a scale in any other reference frame.

All of these clearly have something to do with weight, so which one should
we call "the weight"? ANY of the following sets can be logical and
consistent names (respectively):

SET I
a) force due to gravity
b) weight
c) weight
Does anyone want to argue for a different set of definitions for the above
concepts???

I vote with Tim. SET I looks good to me.