Re: Weight and Mass

Things that sometimes help: UNITS! force is measured in newtons (SI) or
pounds (English), mass is measured in kilograms (SI) or slugs (English).
Weight is a FORCE, it is not mass. They are related by Newton's second
law (F=ma). Of course there is now the poundal and pound mass in the
English system that messes up the notations even further. When all else
fails, threaten them as I do - "Anyone who messes this up after -insert
date- automatically fails the class, you haven't learned two of the most
fundamental concepts of mechanics." (In Madeline Hunter speak - raise
their level of concern.) It doesn't always work but it does help.

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Funny,
That is what I told them..they didn't get it

weight =3D the gravitational force on an object due to Earth

mass =3D the quantity of material present in a sample; fundamentally =
related to the number of atoms in the sample
<<

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

--