Re: No, David, you don't need limits (Was Energy)

On Sat, 22 Sep 2001, David Bowman wrote:

Regarding Brian W.'s fearsome self-proclaimed mangling:

OK, (except for the minor part about the volume per *unit area* per
unit time). Also, we of course need to properly take limits to
find the instantaneous velocity, i.e.
(zero displacement)/(zero time interval).

Newton didn't need to take limits. Leibniz didn't need to take
limits. All Zeus's children don't need to take limits. All you and
they need is a proper definition of infinitesimal. For this, see
1. The references in the introduction to my Calculus text at
www.hep.anl.gov/jlu/index.html
2. The notion of an infinitesimal as a quantity so small that its
square is ("as good as") zero.
3. The definition of derivative as given in Chapter 3 of my text, which
you will find at the same URL.
See, also, math-gm/10065 in the (formerly Los Alamos, now
Cornell) arXiv.

--
Franz Kafka's novels and novella's are so Kafkaesque that one has to
wonder at the enormity of coincidence required to have produced a writer