Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:24:57 -0400
From: Winfield Hill <hill@rowland.org>
To: rbmccammon@mmm.com
Subject: Re: Wake related web site.

rbmccammon@mmm.com wrote:

Interesting web site regarding ocean waves. Shows the wake interference
pattern produced by two destroyers. The effect is to throw the wake to one
side.

http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/Applied/llazausk/hydro/destroyers/destroyers.htm

Very interesting. Those are artificial models of wakes, right?
I suppose with a carefully-placed relative position as a function
of speed. I see these fellows are into wake cancellation studies.

http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/Applied/llazausk/hydro/emac98/emac98.htm
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/Applied/llazausk/hydro/schiffv45no4/tuclaz.pdf

I wonder if the drag is reduced along with the total wake magnitude?

Thanks,
- Win

Winfield Hill
Rowland Institute for Science