Re: Adding 20th C Physics to Intro classes

Chem. with out some of this is insect collecting. Check with you chem.
instructor next door.

bc

They aren't going to get it anywhere else, so why not? (the non college
bound)

SSHS KPHOX wrote:

Please forgive this multiple list posting:

Dear cyber-friends and colleagues;

Last spring I was persuaded to lead a discussion (on October 5) of Physics
teachers/professors on a topic, which can be loosely phrased as “Is it
time to bring HS Physics into the 20th century?” Should we work more to
teach well-established ideas of relativity and particle/nuclear physics
and quantum principles? Most curricula that I see in introductory Physics
(HS, IB or AP) focus on mechanics, waves, E&M, Thermal Physics with some
Atomic/Nuclear Physics.

Part of my acceptance of this was the intriguing CD, Physics 2000, that I
had just ordered and have had some limited opportunity to explore. It
begins with a discussion of relativity.

As I begin to prepare, I thought I would ask if any of you have made use
of Physics 2000, or are adding these non-traditional topics to
introductory Physics (and if so with what success?) or have considered
doing so but shied away or think it is the most foolish idea you have ever
heard or……

Any discussion of the practice or philosophy attached to the addition of
20th c. Physics to an introductory program would be both helpful and
instructive.

Thanks you in advance. Feel free to reply to me in private or make your
thought public here.

Ken Fox
Science Department Coordinator
IB Physics Teacher