Re: Problem

Joel Rauber said: Without really answering the second question, AFIK
d|v|dt, as long as the derivative is defined, it is the instantaneous
component of acceleration parallel to the instantaneous velocity; which is
how it represents something connected to acceleration.

Okay... you can say this. I'm not criticizing; I am just asking out of
curiosity... do others say this? It this a common concept? If so, how is
it used; what purpose does it serve?

I do find it useful to know if an accelerating object is in the process of
speeding up or slowing down. But I approach that by noting if the signs of
the velocity and acceleration are the same or opposite. If they are the
same, the object is currently speeding up; if they are opposite the object
is currently slowing down. Any other definitions beyond v = dx/dt and
a=dv/dt are not necessary.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817