Re: Energy

At 12:57 PM 9/18/01 -0700, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
A nitpick perhaps: IMO "flow" requires that the increase in one
region be plausibly "a result of","required by", or at least
somehow "directly connected to" the decrease in the other.

Yes.

I would
not, for instance, be willing to say that energy "flows" from a
60 kg person in an elevator that is ascending at 5 m/s to another
60 kg person in an adjacent elevator that is descending at 5 m/s.

Agreed.

According to
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=adjacent
I was using adjacent in sense
(1b): sharing a common boundary.
The dictionary goes on to say that adjacent always implies absence of
anything of the same kind in between, so when I spoke of adjacent regions I
was saying the right thing. Not guilty, your honor.

Talking about adjacent elevators is not 100% equivalent to talking about
adjacent regions.

Next time I will use a stronger word. Perhaps "contiguous". Suggestions
are welcome.