Re: What to do now

At 12:15 9/18/01 -0500, Tina wrote:
Hello all
And now for something completely different.

I was called into my supervisor's office yesterday. My physics stude=
nts think I am a bad teacher and accuse me of not answering questions=
etc etc.

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor

In many years, when you are full of experience, you may find
you are dramatizing the salient physics features you wish to emphasize,
that you call on students sometimes to explain a topic to the class,
that you provide materials for people to make model projects like
bridges, or cranes in a competitive environment using balsa sticks
and measured lengths of cotton thread.

You will have heard most questions before, and will offer reasonable
answers often enough. At first, finding satisfactory answers can
be difficult. Better to dig out an answer as soon as possible, because
to obfuscate an area of difficulty will alienate any student quite
quickly.

You may occasionally show a videotape of a striking visual effect,
you may tell a joke, and in a word you are in command of the students'
attention and perhaps respect.

This is a challenging assignment. Students of a beginning instructor
may well find a hesitant diffident manner a signal that the subject
matter is unclear in the instructor's mind.

Do you look as though you are enjoying the teaching assignment?
Perhaps you could pretend a little - offer some fun project work
because these are immensely popular with students.

I offer this humbly from a student perspective, in hopes you can
prevail.

Good luck.

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK