Re: classroom analysis of disasters

These are real world events. We are asked many times
why we do something. I personally would not use footage
with people JFK or the unfortunate souls who decided to
jump, but I see nothing wrong with using the footage of a
building falling.

I agree with John that analyzing footage of the disasters is
in extremely bad taste.

Would you analyze the motion of JFK's assassination as an
example of momentum conservation?

Would you be willing to take the "60 Minutes" challenge and
go on TV to explain why it is appropriate to analyze the
worst disaster in modern American history as an appropriate
exercise for a physics class - within a week of the actual
event?

Would you analyze the motion of people who fell to their
deaths as an example of acceleration due to gravity?

This does nothing more than promote the notion that
scientists are unfeeling propeller heads.

Dr. Lawrence D. Woolf; General Atomics; 3550 General Atomics
Court, San Diego, CA 92121; Phone:858-455-4475;
FAX:858-455-4268; http://www.sci-ed-ga.org