Subject: Re: Final ''off topic'' thoughts about last week
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 19:24:31 -0700
From: Bernard Cleyet <anngeorg@pacbell.net>
To: tap-l@listproc.appstate.edu

Sorry. Here's another thought:

"Empire State wins ‘millennium’ award The Empire State Building, which lost its
status as the world’s tallest building years ago, has been named as one of the
10 greatest engineering achievements of the 20th century. The American
Society of Civil Engineers recognised the skyscraper as “an outstanding
example of engineering ingenuity and dedication that inspired the world to
build taller and taller buildings”. Other winners of the “Monument of the
Millennium” award from the engineering organisation include the Panama Canal,
the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Kansai International Airport in
Osaka, Japan, and the California State Water Project. The 102-storey
structure, completed 70 years ago, was built by 3,000 men in just a year and
45 days. Its elevators can take visitors to the top observation deck in less
than a minute; its construction is so sound that no structural damage occurred
when a B25 bomber crashed into it in 1945."

bc

P.s. From what I've been able to find in a google search (above included),
the claim of structural soundness may be negated, because it wasn't a direct
hit, . A radio architect claims that if std. construction, instead of "cut
corners", had been used, there would've been no collapse, and, therefore, loss
(life and property) would have been ~< 10% of ..... I wonder if the
terrorists were aware of the towers' probably unique vulnerability.

I won't make explicit the implied political comment.

P.p.s. I quite agree with Urs' thoughts! The level of jingoism Gate Keeper
has encountered, even in the staff room of the Elementary School where she
teaches, is very sobering.

cut ---

Re: Final ''off topic'' thoughts about last week